Miles to go before I sleep...

Monday, April 18, 2005

Dishing out your favorites

Who doesnt love to eat?
That too when you are asked to list your favorite dishes you get into the mood and start uttering out your favorite ones. Here's my top 5 list :

1. Soodaana Idli - Milagai podi:

My paatti's classic combo this one is. It is an unwritten rule in my family that my paatti makes thuni (cloth) idlis and milagai podi on saturdays. This dish would be the clinching factor on my decision of whether to take a 1 1/2 hour ride by route "13" bus to her place or staying at my friends' to play cricket.

2. Onion sambar - potato curry:
Another of my paatti's classic combos which my mom faithfully inherited. This would be the Sunday lunch menu reusing the sambar for evening's tiffin with dosa.

3. Morkuzhambu - Paruppu usili:
I didnt know of this combo till one of my friends dished out to me when I came to US and it has earned its place on my list. The combination is devastating and is very healthy - buttermilk + paruppu + beans. I have tried this many a time in the US that I could call myself an expert on making this.

4. Thachi mammu - Vathakuzhambu :
What is dinner/lunch without ending it on curd rice. Its just not complete. Think of a lazy weekend with a sumptuous lunch ending on thachi mammu - vathakuzhambu combo... saapptu mudicha, sorgame theriyum kannu munnaala... I bet no one can sit idle for more than 10 mins - eppo da thaachukkalaamnu irukkum.

5. Rasam saatham - Omelette :
For the period when I was staying away from home and hostel @ Shanmugha College, this would be the ideal combo for lunch. Unlimited meals onnu 10 roobaikku order pannittu, "boss, oru omelette" nnu sonna, rasam satham sappdaracha sooda varum...top tucker aa irukkum combination...
I am restricting myself from eating omelettes these days - jus bcos they are high in cholesterol. (erkanave makkal ellam - "ivanukku kozhuppu jaasthi" nnu solrathu en kaathula vizhaama illa...)

When I was thinking of these dishes - I could visualise - my home, what I would be like, which plate I would be using, where I would be eating from...
Is someone around me eating idli's?? Infact I could even smell the aroma of hot steaming idlis - ok, now thats pushing the imagination just a lil bit.

Off I go....

4 Comments:

Blogger dinesh said...

Prabhu,

Kalakkitte..well written ! I would think of veththa kozhambu with sutta appalam.

Your likeability factor slow a jaasthi aayinde irukke ? :) enna vishayam ?

3:21 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

ore saapaadu pathi pesi& asaiya pasiyaa kelappiteenga ponga!!!

all u mentioned are good combos..also rasam satham with potato curry ,adai avial ,pongal gosthu are some which are really tasty...
i am geared up to cook gr8 dishes tonight!!
priya

4:59 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

ore saapaadu pathi pesi asai & pasiya kelappiteenga ponga!!!

all u mentioned are good combos..also rasam satham with potato curry ,adai avial ,pongal gosthu are some which are really tasty...
i am geared up to cook gr8 dishes tonight!!
priya

5:02 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well written.
Pesama oru kalyanathai pannikoyen

10:53 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home