Miles to go before I sleep...

Sunday, July 03, 2005

Direct Dil Se...

First things first. Its Independence Day long weekend here in the US and as always everyone has their own plans. For me, it is the same usual drive to North Carolina where my brother lives. It is a 500 mile drive from Lexington, KY and it is really long and tiring especially if its all you who is driving. That being said the drive had its own moments - the West Virginia part of the drive is mountainous but nevertheless really scenic. For a stretch of 10 miles you travel amidst the fog. At 75mph you get kissed on the forehead by one cloud (fog that is) and it passes by for the next one.

Long, lone drives could sometimes be good - you can get to talk with yourself about some idiosyncrasies that you still carry after 26 years in earth, sing aloud without having to worry about shruthi and thaalam and ofcourse shame?! (that you dont sing as well as some of your friends can!), and on the lighter side take restroom breaks when you really want to and not force a restroom break on yourself just because your friend had to "you know".
Everytime I drive this 500 mile, 8 hour course to NC, I always think " Next time I am not going to put myself into this hassle of tiring drive but instead going to fly", but then it ends up with me driving.
And I listened to songs all throughout - Tamil, Hindi, English (FM radio) sparring sometime calling friends with conversations like " I am here, where are you?, How is your drive?, What did you eat?". Yesterday's best song while on the drive was "Jee khar dekhta rahoon, Kitna sonaa thuje rab ne banayaaa" from Raja Hindustani. Who said you have to be in love for you to like these kind of songs, I just fell in love with the song.

I am having a gala of a time so far - two lovely angels (my nieces), anna, manni, manni's amma cooking, SUN TV, sumptuous lunch @ Udipi today comprising of Idli, Vada, Set Dosai, Channa Batura, Masala Dosai, Carrot Halwa and the list goes on endlessly....

To take a kutti nap after a weekend lunch is too tempting and I go off to the sleep mode of my Eat-Sleep-Eat-Watch TV cycle.

Later...

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Enjamaaaaaaai! :))

-Vasu

12:12 AM  
Blogger expertdabbler said...

beautifully written prabhu.
happiness namba kaiyile dhaan irukku. sollamal sonadharku nandri

2:39 AM  
Blogger Badri said...

prabhu chitapaaaaaa...
pass on my hello to the angels in NC.

4:13 AM  
Blogger The Doodler said...

Prabu,
super. You've reminded me of home and made me feel homesick..:(

9:09 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

idhuku per vaazhkai....

-vv

9:25 AM  
Blogger rajesh said...

prabhu sithappaaaaa...
once more polaamaaa sithappaaa?? :)
fotos anupu da
-Raapi

9:17 AM  
Blogger Prabhu said...

pk - thanks.
badri, rapi - sure done, sahana ungala ellam kettaa "unnoda rendu frends varuvaangale, avanga enge chithappa" nnu kettaa...

subha - glad, i reminded u of home :)
vv, vasu - hmmm, ipo enna da naa lexington la vanthu senthaachu.

11:25 AM  
Blogger Adaengappa !! said...

Are you back to KY ?

9:51 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home