Miles to go before I sleep...

Sunday, May 07, 2006

Naan Vegetarian

"Can you make this dish without the meat?"
"Do you think this soup is made in chicken or beef broth?"
"Is this vegetarian?" - Pat comes the reply in a hardened tone "Sir, this is garlic bread" :)
(The cute waitress wanted to ask you - "Dont you even know what a garlic bread is?")
"No meat please, Thank you!".

Everytime I go to a restaurant - I have to ask atleast 5 clarifications if the dish I decide upon, has any meat, if I am ordering a soup have to make sure there is no beef broth in it.
One thing - some restaurant guys dont consider chicken to be meat (what is it, then?) and next thing they assume - beef broth is only for flavoring hence its not considered made of meat.
The reason for this post is - me and my brother went to a chinese place to take out some stuff for the home - Neo China (peru ellam nalla thaan vekkareenga!). We made sure we asked the customary 5 clarifications, made sure we said " does not contain any meat", "No meat", "vegetarian" (No, we didnt want to get a weird look by saying "pure vegetarian":), "no egg, no meat". It was a nice smelling 15 minute ride back home with the "to-go" bags on each side of the rear. I had my first dig into the spring rolls that we ordered for appetizer and I was sure something was not right. I emptied my mouth and saw a small cube of "I know its some meat".
(yuckkkkk!!).

Then I had to jump before anyone else could get a taste of it. I had a feeling of let-down and am no more in the mood of eating anything. I think its more of the mind than my mouth that I felt the same distasteful taste lingering on even when I was eating the fried rice. Is something wrong with what I said or they dont care - I said "medium spicy" on my fried rice and I got a "medium" sized SPICY one. Finally the only good thing of the meal was the fortune cookie.

The same thing happens with Tacobell also. They grind the beef so much that you eat thinking its bean. There was this one Tacobell experience which I cannot forget - I made the order and before I could say my "no-meat" things, he said "I know sire, No MEAT right? and here is your glass for water" ( How did he guess I am not going to take a drink? I think he has a strong belief that Indian guys never drink sodas).

Its been a while since I ate outside food and I guess it will be a while before I go back to Chinese food again. The final word from my SIL was - "Idhukku sambar-rasam-curry combo ve saaptu irukkalam, edho en samaiyal venaam nu poneenga la?".
And I didnt want to differ. I am waiting for the traditional mammu in the night.

13 Comments:

Blogger Shilpa said...

Yeah being veggie is tuf !

Last yr when I was flying back from India via delta I got my 'spl meal' which looked fishy to me. I clarified with the air-hostess and she gv me a frosty reply that there was no meat in it.

Gulp. Nyways I took one teeny weeny bite and was ready to throw up. It was surely meat of some kind. Enraged, I called the air-hostess and told her there was meat in it.

She replies ' there is no meat - it is only fish' !

1:02 AM  
Blogger Viji said...

Prabhu- romba paavama irukku, onga nelamaya paatha... No doubt, traditional mammu is always the best!

5:17 AM  
Blogger Butterflies said...

Seems veggie guys are having atough time abroad!!!!!!!!

8:38 AM  
Blogger Archana said...

Yeah, somehow in this country, fish is considered veggie (!?!)

"Finally the only good thing of the meal was the fortune cookie."

BTW, did you know that many fortune cookies have eggs in them ;-)?

10:27 AM  
Blogger kuttichuvaru said...

very much agree with u on this post!! 'no meat' solrathu mattum illaama, we hav to get clarified wat all they classify as meat :-)

10:27 AM  
Blogger dinesh said...

Taco bell worst indha matter la ! You are right..

Me: Beans instead of beef sir

Him: Okay

Me: Make sure there's no meat

Him: Okay

Me: Can you repeat the order ?

Him: repeats

Me: Just making sure you don't get any meat on it

Him: I heard you the first time

Me: Sorry, but I have to emphasize. I've had some bad experiences.

I go home. Open the crunch wrap supreme ! Tasty Ground Crispy BEEF !

11:03 AM  
Blogger Taruna said...

So true...even buying a simple salad (not ceasar or any other with meat) at McD needs repetitive instructions...

12:30 PM  
Blogger Prabhu said...

Shilpa - "Its only fish" - LOL :)
Guess we should follow Archana's idea of over-stuffing yourself before the flight :)

Viji - sathiyama, veetu mammu thaan best, but sometimes you need adventures like these.

Shuba - Yup, but we get used to it - the "Please NO meat on it" while ordering.

Archana - ya weird they consider fish and sometimes chicken as veggie - Dont know why though. Thats why I say "Absolutely NO meat" to see if that helps them understand. About eggs - you have it everywhere so thats ok.

2:28 PM  
Blogger Prabhu said...

Kuttichuvaru - Ya, and sometimes they hear your bean as beef. So its actually doube beef burger. :)

Dins - Unakku enna da? Nee than oxford range ku english pesuviye da?
Unakke intha nilamainna, engala ninachu paaru. Somehow I envy your ability at picking up conversations with the restaurant guys. :)

Taruna - Welcome! True & Concur. I never go to McD as they dont even have a veggie burger like BK does.

2:33 PM  
Blogger Sayee said...

Nalla Matter..especially the garlic bread matter !

Also.. andha Drink matter ..Actually..a lot of desis generally dont buy a medium or large drink..if there are refills..they buy small..and make sure they drink the full cup twice..when they are in the restuarant..and take a final refill before going out !

7:58 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Asians in general tend to save and try to be economical in what they do. Thats why the small drink funda. I think being economical makes sense. Most if not all the americans i have seen tend to waste their food and energy resources. When I go out of my lab i usually like to switch off the lights on many places where we dont need them and they are a lot.

If the people of US try to be atleast half economical as other country men we ( The whole world ) would be paying a lot less for the Oil and the world would be much cleaner. Its all interconnected so being economical (not to be confused with stingy) is good ..desi or otherwise.

-vv

1:56 PM  
Blogger Prabhu said...

Sayee,
Welcome. Naan kooda small drink thaan vaanguven. (i.e. on those rare occassions of buying a drink :)

Vijay,
Totally concur. Aana Americans food waste panni naan paathathe illa.

Reminded me of this
no-rhyme-nor-reason

11:19 PM  
Blogger Enigma said...

yup being veggie is really hard !!
all we get to eat is onion lettuce and tomatoes :P

12:25 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home