Miles to go before I sleep...

Tuesday, May 16, 2006

T'y'red!

I was on a looonng weekend this past weekend. No, I wasnt resting or vacationing at all.
My parents are here in the US for 2 months now and they were wanting to see the place where I studied my Masters. We also decided to visit my cousin in Detroit to see the new arrival in her family. I rented a car from Avis - got a bonus double car upgrade because I shared my birthday with the guy who was at the desk. (Sometimes, I have to accept I am lucky :)

So I took them to the Blue Grass state first, showed them around the beautiful country, the greenery, and better still showed them the gang I belonged to! (hmm and they did act goody-goody :). Then we drove all the way upto Detroit and stayed indoors most of the time - thanks to the cold-welcome in Michigan and to make matters worse it was raining. Then we drove back from Detroit to home, North Carlolina and thats a sweet 750 miles :( I had taken Monday off and I would have preferred the Monday morning work than the 750 mile drive. At the end of it all, everyone was relieved home was there and I crashed to blissful sleep yesterday.
Altogether - I had driven 1900 miles in 4 days. Oooohh, that some miles on the Avis rental. I am sure he will think twice before renting a car to me next time. And guys, next time try the Pontiac G6 - its a smooth drive and it drove beautifully in high-speeds and was a veryyy smooth drive. But then, I am back to my "lachumi" today.

Today as I slide under my desk at work, my legs inadvertently look for the gas and the brake. How I wish I was in India where I could call an auto to drop me home :( Sigh!

14 Comments:

Blogger Butterflies said...

Oh....Gud Gud..so chilling out with parents huh???ensoi....sema driveeaaa mmm...gud gud..u bunked office...nalla vishayam!

11:57 PM  
Blogger The Doodler said...

>>How I wish I was in India where I >>could call an auto to drop me home

Idhu sonniye..noothula oru vaarthai! :) There have been days when I was so tired and all I wanted to do was catch an auto and go home...If wishes were horses...

7:03 AM  
Blogger Shilpa said...

U r lucky indeed ! Nice to get an upgrade like that !

Having parents around must be fun too...esp for sapaadu :-)

Thats a lot of driving...don't u have any friend with whom u can ride share ?

10:44 AM  
Blogger Prabhu said...

Priyavadhana,
Welcome and thanks.
I did my Masters with the Univ of Kentucky.

Shuba,
hmm, yup parents are here. Bunked office - ya but I have to compensate for the 2 days leave. (paycheck la thundu vizhum illaatti)

Subha,
Sathiyama - Bus from work to near home is also okay. But intha oorula bus kooda sari illa.

Shilpa,
"Lucky You" is what people attribute to whatevr successes I have accomplished:(
Yup, having fun with parents around and ya this trip was a lot of driving.
Dont get me started here -- I recently moved to NC and I still dont have any friends of my own :((
Thats one thing I miss Lex the most :(

11:15 AM  
Blogger kuttichuvaru said...

tats a long drive machi!! u hav actually gone to my homeland Michigan!! he he... naan anga thaan Masters pannen :-) n, Pontiac G6 is an awesome car!!

12:59 PM  
Blogger Archana said...

Phew - just reading abt all the driving makes me t'y'red!! But at least you had your parents for company - that must have been awesome :-)!

LOL @ you searching for the gas pedal beneath your desk!

1:02 PM  
Blogger expertdabbler said...

1900 miles a?
Ada-paavi, namba ooru National Permit lorry driver madhiri ottirukiye?

2:01 PM  
Blogger BZ said...

Wow Prabhu, you have had a realllly long weekend.
Were you the only person who drove? Acho paavam :)
Fly panni irukkalame? :)
We had rented Pontiac G6 once. Parakkara madhiri irundhadhu, roadla irukka madhiriye illa. :)

8:50 AM  
Blogger dinesh said...

"Today as I slide under my desk at work, my legs inadvertently look for the gas and the brake"

I know how that feels ! Man, that's a sick feeling....The night you sleep after making that long drive, you see all roads and lanes and trucks in your neighbouring lanes. I am surprised that you still make those long trips by road. You should think about flying da. Illena, romba kadi !

9:21 AM  
Blogger Prabhu said...

Kutti,
Ohh, nee UoM la thaan Masters panniya?
Unakku ange poster adichu otti irunthaanga - tamil sangam la. Appove I should have guessed.

Archana,
I took friday n monday off - so that made matters a bit easy! And ya travelling with amma-appa made it comfortable also. Amma micro-managed the pantry section from the back-seat feeding me idly/ thachi-mammu/juices/ coffeee :)

PK - LOL :) I know! Gas potte azhinjen trip la - that too with gas prices hitting the roof during summer.

11:11 AM  
Blogger Prabhu said...

Saranya,
Yup - it was only me who had a license in the car :)
Flying - I considered it, but then it was tooo costly to fly out from different cities and that too when you cant be flexible.
Pontiac-G6 -- sathiyamaa was a breeze.

Dinesh,
That night you sleep - you see lanes, cars --- dei Atlanta trip daylight pothu had you seen all these, we could have averted that accident :)
Flying - one kadi is - you always get 1 connection and the time to the airport, checkin - somehow I feel it will take almost the same time as driving.

11:14 AM  
Blogger Syam said...

Prabhu thanks for the tips of renting P-G6 from AVIS, naanum Avis ku mottai adichu sandhanam thadava paarkaren, nethu thaan enga amma vandhu irangi irukaanga...those tedious drives are ahead of me too...enna drive pannum pothu dham adika mudiyathu...

2:15 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great site loved it alot, will come back and visit again.
»

8:10 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Here are some links that I believe will be interestedhttp://indexmachine.info/295.html or http://google-machine.info/3146.html and http://google-index.info/2929.html

10:51 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home