Miles to go before I sleep...

Wednesday, June 14, 2006

A Jack or a King

I am not a sports freak, but I love to go out and play in the sun than stay at home and watch TV. Unfortunately for me, I was never a king of one trade, but a jack in a few games that I indulge in. Wish, I would be playing alongside Sania if I took tennis seriously, or would have been with Yuvi/Kaif if I had chosen cricket...sari sari...adangikkaren...

(Reminds me of the Singaravelan dialogue -- "Intha veetlaiye ellaa instruments melayum kai vekkaravan ivan oruthan thaan, ethaiyum vaasikka maattan, aana thudachu veppaan :)

When I relocated to North Carolina almost 6 months back, my brother's family were the only one I knew here in NC. To come from KY where I almost knew everyone ( no, not the other way round, not everyone knew me!) to this place where I was a nobody, I thought I will engage in some activities that I didnt have time to.

So I started playing volleyball at the local YMCA, and they had a volleyball league going on. So being the jack I am, I enrolled myself in the league games as well. Talking to me over the fone, the organizer said -- A league ellam konjam over, so B la senthukko. Every Monday we have a round-robin game with the finals in June.

One advantage that I later realised was -- one I am getting to know a lot of people, and the other since these games were on Mondays, they were no more mundane Mondays, and I wasnt actually cribbing on Sunday nights. I actually was not happy when Memorial Day came on a Monday :)
So finally I found the magic -- do try to do something special on Mondays and next time on you will want the Mondays to come a tad faster.

And yesterday was the semis and the finals at the Y.
This was indoor co-ed volleyball and our team was named "Wheres the Sand". I didnt quite catch the meaning the first time they told me, but then it dawned to me. We had a very good run in the season and completed the formalities in the finals as well.

Edhaavathu rolling cup kudupaanga, Federer maadhiri adhuku kiss kuduthu foto eduthukkalaam nu paathaa, oru Tshirt kuduthu emaathittaanga.
Anyways a win is a win is a win and here it is....

Coincidentally, we had a cricket tournament won almost the same time last year. Adhukum oru tshirt thaan for the winners. Looks like June is one month I can save some money on shopping.

And I am pretty tired the last couple of days. Had a thoroughly enjoyable camping trip with people in Lexington, KY and I continue to amaze myself by driving another 1000 miles in 2 days (Fri-Sun). I was dead meat on Sunday though.
Lots of adventures to write upon and as the trend is these days will write it up as a travellogue. (I promise to keep it short, not essentially sweet)

Alrite then,

19 Comments:

Blogger Shilpa said...

Oh Congrats on the win !

The weather must be soo pleasant there....mes getting roasted here.

waiting for ur posts abt the camping and other escapades :-)

2:56 AM  
Blogger dinesh said...

Enga ponaalum, championship jeikkare da nee...perumayaaa irukku ! Kalakku man nee...

10:42 AM  
Blogger Syam said...

Co-ed Volley ball ah yempa yennayum aatathula serthukunga please please... :-)

11:05 AM  
Blogger Archana said...

Coool! Congrats :-)! Sports and me are usually miles apart - I try and keep trying :-D!

I can see someone is taking a dig at loooooong travellogues :-( - but as long as you put up posts about your travel, I shall let it pass :-D!

12:24 PM  
Blogger The Doodler said...

Congrats, Prabhu!

3:53 PM  
Blogger Butterflies said...

hey congrats...long time no see!Eppdi sir tennisnaa sania pakkathulayya....ungalukku too muchaa terila!!nice post!!!

10:57 PM  
Blogger Prabhu said...

Shilpa,
Thanks. And ya the weather is definitely better than the hot Texas.
Even though I lived in chennai for 22 years, I think I will still complain its damn hot if it crosses 80 degrees.

dinesh -- cricket la nee aadi win panni kuduthaa maadhiri, inge volleyball la ennoda team la oruthan sammaiyaa aaduvaan, thats why :)

syam -- co-ed school illeenganaa idhu, aada vara ladies ellaam vayasaaanavanga thaan, although ennoda team la rendu peru ennoda age group :)

archana,
u and sports are like me and studies, i kept trying and then gave up :)
cha, i didnt mean to take a dig at you, after-all will i try to belittle my favorite blogs? ;)

subha - thanq, camping la nee aadina volleyball thaane oore pesikuthu :)

Shuba - ya, i know long time no talk?
ennoda ellaa blogs um nice post nu solra ore aalu nee thaan, me glad :)

12:13 AM  
Blogger kuttichuvaru said...

naanum athe maathiri thaan.... neraiya vishayam try pannuven, aana ethuvum uruppadi kedayaathu!! hi-5 for tat!!

10:22 AM  
Blogger ambi said...

epdi, epdi, sania pakathula iruntha nee tennisaa aduvaa? :)
btw, congrats.. aduthu enna golikundu panthayamaa? :) LOL

10:52 PM  
Blogger Viji said...

Congrats! rolling cup na thiruppi kudukanum... tshirt kuduthangale nu sandhosha pattukanga! ;)

1:21 AM  
Blogger expertdabbler said...

Hey congrats!!!
As u rightly say, a win is a win...

4:52 AM  
Blogger Prabhu said...

Kuttichuvaru ---
Hi-Five. Edhuvum uruppadiya aada maattennu enna pathi neeye guess pannitiye.. pozhachu po.

Ambi - sania pakkthula irunthaa, tennis um aaduvenu sonnen. goli gundu ellam co-ed games a?

viji -- that is very true, entha visheyam sonnaalum anubavikkaama aaraychi pannriyee, good job :)

PK -- yaa, and i signed up for the summer volleyball as well, not the beach kind though :)

4:44 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey prabhu,

Got here from SK's blog..So, u
were in sanskrit gp too right?! Good to find you after so long..
So, what do you do now? And are u in touch with the school guys?
I found Parthasarathy on orkut and read his blogs too...
Good to get back in touch..
lakshmi

1:20 AM  
Blogger Prabhu said...

hey lakshmi,
yup me too in XII-F3.
(intha first bench la sincere sigamani ya ukkaanthu iruppene, remember? :)

Me - PSBB->Shanmugha->Univ of Kentucky->Work @North Carolina && Single :(

I think I found u in Orkut, u doing PhD?

12:19 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

yeah me doing PhD in B'lore..
After MSc at Pondicherry University...
And i do remember that you used to sit in the front bench!!!!! :-)

lakshmi

12:02 AM  
Blogger Viji said...

cha, cycle gap kedachalum, enna ottidringale... idhu nyayama? :)

2:43 AM  
Blogger smiley said...

congrats
jach aay irunthay win enral
king aay irunthaal.... :)

3:17 AM  
Blogger Prabhu said...

Viji,
Oatta ellaam illa, unna poi otta mudiyumaa?

Smiley,
Naan Jack thaan, ennoda team la oruthan volleyball la king, adhu thaan win :)

11:25 PM  
Blogger Prabhu said...

Ashok la,
Welcome da :)

Volleyball aadaracha sledge pannatha poi, enaku kozhuppu jaasthi nu solitiye da...

12:04 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home